Water Law in the Light of Water Governance
Due to the low demand of the course and the registrants are Brazilian, the course will not be offered in English. The selected participants were reallocated to the Portuguese version.
In the future, we will open a new English class.
Date of Course: from October, the 7th, to November, the 1st, 2019 (Date Updated)
Course Load: 52h/training
Number of quotas: 30
Free course offered in distance learning mode with tutoring.
ANA – National Water Agency (Brazil)
UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
ABC/MRE – Brazilian Cooperation Agency/Foreign Affairs Ministry
Professor Pilar Carolina Villar
Enable participants to understand and apply the rules relating to the National (Brazilian) Water Resources Policy and related topics.
The course is aimed at technicians and professionals from water and environment management agencies in Brazil, Latin American countries, the Caribbean and Portuguese-speaking countries responsible for the implementation of public policies on water resources and management instruments.
The course, in distance learning mode with tutoring, will be developed with a class load of 52 hours/training.
The classes cover theoretical questions and case studies on the management of water resources, according to the following program content:
- Unit 1 - THE LAW IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF FRESH WATER GOVERNANCE
- THE WATERS ACT AND THE CENTRALIZED MANAGEMENT MODEL;
- THE NEW ENVIRONMENTAL CONSTITUTIONAL ORDER AND THE PROTECTION OF WATERS;
- LEGAL NATURE OF FRESH WATER: ENVIRONMENTAL ASSET, SOCIAL ASSET AND ECONOMIC ASSET;
- CONSTITUTIONAL DOMAIN OF FRESH WATERS;
- CONSTITUTIONAL JURISDICTION IN WATER ISSUES;
- ADMINISTRATIVE JURISDICTION IN WATER MATTERS;
- LEGISLATIVE JURISDICTION ON FRESH WATER ISSUES;
- FEDERAL LAW NO. 9.433/1997: A NEW PARADIGM IN THE MANAGEMENT OF FRESH WATERS;
- HUMAN RIGHT TO WATER AND SANITATION IN THE BRAZILIAN LEGAL SYSTEM;
- Unit 2 - GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE NATIONAL WATER RESOURCES POLIC
- THE NATIONAL WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SYSTEM;
- WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT INSTRUMENTS;
- SUCCESS STORIES;
- Unit 3 - THE LEGAL TREATMENT OF GROUNDWATERS IN BRAZILIAN LAW
- UNVEILING THE BRAZILIAN UNDERGROUND WATERS AND AQUIFERS: FEATURES AND IMPORTANCE;
- THE GROUNDWATER DOMAIN;
- MINERAL, THERMAL, GASEOUS, POTA BLE TA BLE WATER, OR WATER FOR BATHING PURPOSES: WATER RESOURCES UNDER THE AEGIS OF THE MINERAL SYSTEM;
- THE NATIONAL WATER RESOURCES POLICY INSTRUMENTS AND GROUNDWATERS;
- THE MAIN LEGAL BASES FOR GROUNDWATER MANAGEMENT;
- SPECIFIC INITIATIVES FOR THE PROTECTION OF GROUNDWATERS;
- LEGAL IMPLICATIONS OF IRREGULAR USE OF GROUNDWATERS (SANCTIONS);
- THE CASE OF THE GUARANI AQUIFER SYSTEM;
- THE MANAGEMENT OF GROUNDWATERS AND THE NEED FOR COORDINATION;
- Unit 4 – WATER GOVERNANCE AND MANAGEMENT INTEGRATION: BUILDING A NEXUS
- ENVIRONMENT, WATER AND LAW;
- INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL LAW AND THE WATERS;
- BRAZILIAN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW AND THE WATERS;
- URBAN TERRITORIAL SYSTEM AND THE WATER;
- BASIC SANITATION AND WATER RESOURCES;
- AGRICULTURE AND WATER;
- ENERGY AND WATER;
- CLIMATE AND WATER;
- CHALLENGES OF BUILDING WATER GOVERNANCE IN THE LIGHT OF INTEGRATED WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT;
Registration dates from September 2nd to 22th, 2019, by filling up the registration form available in the Training Website of the Agency (https://capacitacao.ead.unesp.br ).
- Selection Parameters: The main parameter used for selection is that candidates are employees who act directly, in their respective bodies, in the area of expertise of the course. In addition, to be eligible to participate in the course, candidates should, preferably:
- Have ties with water resources management bodies, at the national, state or municipal levels;
- To be the local manager and / or technician of the water resources area and responsible for the subject matter of the course;
- Have more than three (3) years of experience in the related area;
Click here to access the course factsheet.